Friday, October 23, 2009

Felt Cuirass: Surface Treatment

Felt with Metalic Surface Treatment
Creating a uniform look with the glue application has proven to be more difficult than I had anticipated. The consistency of the glue must be just right for it to soak in a little bit but not too much. I’ve found though, that with a little more effort put into the surface treatment I can get a relatively consistent look on all the pieces. Alternating between silver Rub n’ Buff and black tinting solution I was able to create a sort of aged, acid-etched metal surface. Then the feathers were applied with gloss medium and pewter pigment powder. The feathers are a bit more subtle than they appear in this picture. Their visibility depends on the angle of the light hitting the piece. Now I just need to do this to 15 more pieces and I’ll be ready for the next step.

1 comment:

  1. I would love to know the process you used to make this effect :)

    ReplyDelete