Friday, October 16, 2009

The Cuirass: Drafting

Cuirass Sketches
I decided to begin the valkyrie project with the cuirass, which in this case is still a corset style, but does not lace up like a corset. The final look will be that of plated metal rather than leather which is more typical for a cuirass. I began the process with a series of sketches. When I came to a design I liked, something form-fitting, edgy but still practical for moving in, I started drafting the pieces with a paper model. Having a duct tape double of myself has made drafting and fitting the plates much, much easier. I recommend making a duct tape double to anyone who makes a lot of clothing/costuming for themself.
Cuirass Paper Model

2 comments:

  1. I recommend having a friend nearby to help you get *out* of the duct tape double... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and to help with the taping too. It is not possible to tape your own back, shoulders and neck since you want the double to have your natural posture.

    ReplyDelete