Saturday, February 28, 2009
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Half of each feather is made of sintra (PVC foam) while the other half I’ve wanted to make out of painted acetate (clear film) I’ve been having a terrible time getting the look I want because the piece will be back lit. I had been trying to achieve a faux stained glass appearance using inks and acrylics with a lot of gloss medium. The inks didn’t adhere as well as I had hoped and the acrylics look dull and streaky. Thanks to my mom though, I finally found something that works. Jacquard’s piñata paints are perfect for creating a stained glass effect on plastics. They dry quickly and are both transparent and vivid, the combination I was having so much trouble achieving. With this discovery made I am now on my way with creating the feathers. I also decided on the addition of some rough gold leafing which gives the pieces a new reflective quality. This helps tie together the reflective surface of the acetate and dull opaque sintra. The addition of slots in the sintra also helped to unify the two parts. The only other element that I used in the first trial that I would like to keep is the gloss medium on the acetate which creates a more textured glossy surface rather than the hard flat shine of the acetate.
Tuesday, February 17, 2009
I’ve completed one set of the feather stalks now. These form a sort of skeletal frame at the ends of which will be the sintra and acetate feathers. A portion of this frame will be exposed. The stalks are simply tapered wooden dowels painted red. It’s amazing how long it took (3 hours) to complete such a simple part of the assembly process.
Meanwhile, the second shipment of sintra has arrived and I’ve begun to cut out the remainder of the feathers. As for the acetate, well I haven’t yet figured that out completely. I’m not satisfied with the effects created by acrylics or inks. The inks are too transparent and the acrylics too streaky. However, my mom discovered Jacquard’s Pinata Paints which I believe will give me the effect I’m looking for. These paints adhere well to plastic and are great for creating a faux stained glass effect, which is exactly what I’ve been looking for.
Saturday, February 14, 2009
Annika and I have successfully built a steam pipe in which we can steam wood that is to be bent. It’s a simple set up consisting of an insulated PVC pipe, vinyl tubing and a hot pot. That’s all. It get’s considerably hotter than I had anticipated which is marvelous; we’ll be able to bend the wood faster.Clamped Steamed Wood