Monday, December 14, 2009

Valkyrie Cuirass: Metal Piping

Completed Portion of Valkyrie Cuirass

I’ve made some major advances on the Valkyrie costume today. All of the segments for the cuirass have been cut and ironed, and most of them have been surfaced. I wanted each segment to have “piping” around the edges, but the vinyl tubing I was trying to use was much too difficult to cut and bend into shape. Even at 1/8” it was too stiff. I figured a way to make the seams using piping cord and ribbon and still achieve a neat, smooth surface almost as smooth as the vinyl tubing would have looked. Up close it looks pretty good, but a few feet back it looks perfect. It took over two hours to do this one section though so, I’ve still a long way to go.

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Cherub Wings

Completed "Cherub" Wings

I was able to spend some of this morning working on the “cherub” wings for the choir of angels in my church’s Christmas production. The choir of angels will consist of 6-7 children from the church. For each of them I’m making a small pair of wings made with whatever I have around or can find for cheap: coat hangers, nylon, turkey feathers and boas. I’m keeping them simple since I’ll need to make multiples and need them finished within the next week.

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Modeling Homura's Mask

Homura's Karas Mask
I received my life-size head mannequin in the mail yesterday. I haven’t had my hand in any modeling for a while so I started sculpting right away. I’ve started making the mask and helmet for the female karas: Homura from the 6-part animated series Karas.