Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Wooden Stalks

Wooden Dowel Stalks

I’ve completed one set of the feather stalks now. These form a sort of skeletal frame at the ends of which will be the sintra and acetate feathers. A portion of this frame will be exposed. The stalks are simply tapered wooden dowels painted red. It’s amazing how long it took (3 hours) to complete such a simple part of the assembly process.

Meanwhile, the second shipment of sintra has arrived and I’ve begun to cut out the remainder of the feathers. As for the acetate, well I haven’t yet figured that out completely. I’m not satisfied with the effects created by acrylics or inks. The inks are too transparent and the acrylics too streaky. However, my mom discovered Jacquard’s Pinata Paints which I believe will give me the effect I’m looking for. These paints adhere well to plastic and are great for creating a faux stained glass effect, which is exactly what I’ve been looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment