Sunday, August 21, 2011

Fairy Wings: Good Blots

Now this is more like it. I’ve figured out how to successfully blot the painted layers on the fairy wings – so long as I’m not going for detail. Turns out they look better when the paint is really wet and blurry since there is so much detailed being put into the veining instead.

Even this blot turned out to work just fine. I thought it was a failure; that there wasn’t enough alcohol in the wash and the colors were too harshly separated. But when I added a layer of veining over it everything came together.

I’ve also been finding that if I don’t plan anything out but just work freehand and do everything on the fly then, the pieces turn out much more interesting. This is true for both the paint wash layer and the veining.




3 comments:

  1. WANT the blue and purple. WANT badly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll make sure you get a pair. I'll call you when they're being posted to etsy which will hopefully be by the end of this week!

    ReplyDelete